Monday, October 5, 2009

I will miss holding your hand. - I

"How much more time do you need?" She asked.

"May be three more years." He said.

"I am sure you will get a good job once you are out of college." She said.

The waves kissed their feet lightly, and they could feel the wet sand.

"You very well know that I dont want to be stuck to 9 to 5 job. I want to start something of my own." He said.

"But what? Everyday you have a new plan. I feel you are very confused. You really dont know what you want to do."

"I know what I want to do."
"You know that my parents have been after me ever since I took up this job." She said. He could sense the tension in her voice. He took her hand in his hand. "Just three years more, thats all I ask for." He said.

She looked far into the sea. He followed her gaze to the dim yellow light coming from the buoy near the dark horizon.

"My sister wants me to spend the weekend with her so I am going to her place tomorrow." She said. "I will miss holding your hand." He said. "I will just be gone for two days will be back on Monday morning." She said this time with a smile. He smiled back.

He didn't sleep for those two days, thought a lot and made up his mind.

His cell phone lights up on Monday morning. "Hey am back in town." The text message said. "Hey dats gr8 lets meetup in the evening, I want to tell u sumthing." He replied. "Yeah sure our usual place 8ish." came the reply.

He found her sitting at the bench on the beach, gave her a apologetic smile and said "got stuck in the traffic." "Not a problem." She said. Their hands touched lightly.

"I thought a lot and I want to tell you something." He said. She looked into his eyes as if she knew what he was about to tell her. Before he could say anything she said, "Back at my sister's place, I met someone." She looked away far into the dark horizon.

"I will miss holding your hand." He said softly.
Note: Click for the 2nd part of this three part story Can I Hold Your Hand - II (Prequel)

Disclaimer: This story is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any person dead or living is purely coincidental.

14 comments:

  1. Is it possible that she was lying? Trying to give him a chance to live his dreams? Possible, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha.... Too realistic to be fiction :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aila, u should always finish such posts yaar.. :) simple n sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. different people have different perspective towards life...& at times we do somethings in a relationship to try not to hurt someone..unknowingly that that would b xactly the thing that would hurt most.
    it is a marvelously written piece & it happens in our day today !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what if she met someone? Very well written. Crisp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *touched* and so meaningfull.... socha nahi thaa ki aap itna accha likhte ho.. keep it up.. *Thumbs Up*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well said. Felt realistic!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. damn. har baar ladke ka hi kat-ta hai :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol its the fact. believe me, when she said i am goiong to sister for weekend, i judged wats going to happen, because years backsamething has happened with me also. :)

    itsCreation (twitter)

    ReplyDelete
  10. immense
    are the possibilities
    new beginings
    new stories

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully written piece. She knew what he was to say and wanted to save both of them the hurt and pain...

    And I wonder if this is really a work of fiction ;)

    Keep it up. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmmm

    thoughful
    subtly it says things unsaid and leaves u longing for the next part
    an encouraging sign for a writer :)

    keep it up bhai

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you sure its fiction???

    I liked it..this one and prequel too.. looking fwd to final part..
    Keep writing vivek :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice reading...Only if you could have managed to be a more descriptive about the surroundings.you didn't utilize the scenery to present your perspective.Under any chances it was a wonderful writing...

    ReplyDelete