Friday, October 9, 2009

Hey is that you again. - III (Sequel)

Note: This story is the 3rd part of a 3 part story. Even though it can be read as a separate story, the author would recommend you to read the 2nd part Can I Hold Your Hand – II (Prequel)

Summer 2013:

“I thought you left smoking.” He heard a female voice say.

He turned around and saw her smiling at him.

“Times have changed”, he smiled back brightly, a pack of Marlboro Lights in his left hand.

“But I see you are still a movie buff”, she said, noticing the latest Richard Linklater movie in his right hand.

“How have you been”, he asked. “I am good, what are you doing here”, she asked. “Well, I was in the city to lecture a bunch of college kids”, he said. “Lecture huh! And why didn’t you let me know?” she asked. “Well, I didn't have your number”, he said. “You and your lame excuses, you had my mail and chat id right”, she said. He gave a sheepish smile, lowered his eyes and scratched his head.

“You will be punished for this”, she said. “Do you have to punish me every time we meet”, he said in mock protest. “Yes”, she said. “Ok, what’s the punishment”, he asked. “I know a good French restaurant nearby, buy me lunch”, she said.

They went to the payment counter. He paid for the pack of cigarettes and the DVD. They came out. He turned to go towards the parking lot. “We have to go this way, come on”, she said. They walked.

They reached the restaurant took a table and ordered the food.

“How’s your hubby”, he asked. “Ubberbusy”, she answered. “And kids”, he asked. “I have a one year old daughter, she has started walking now.”

He smiled at her. She smiled back. She had the same smile he noticed, just a few fine lines beginning to appear near her eyes.

“And how’s your wife and kids”, she asked. “Don’t know”, he said. “We got divorced last year and haven’t heard from her since then” he said looking out of the window.

She looked into his eyes. He turned and smiled at her.

“And what happened to you hair”, she laughed. “Well, you win some you loose some”, he said.

They talked about old times and common friends. She never asked him about his life again.
The attendant appeared with the cheque. She reached for her wallet. He stopped her. “It’s my punishment, I will pay this time”, he said. “Ok”, she laughed. He paid.

They came out of the restaurant. “I have a car, should I drop you somewhere”, she asked. “No, I am fine”, he said. “Have dinner with us tonight”, she said. “Sorry, I have some engagement tonight.” She did not ask again, she knew he would never come.

“Ok then, bye and next time you are here let me know”, she said. “Yeah sure I will”, he said with a smile. She sat in the driver’s seat, started the engine and waved at him. He waved back turned around and started to walk.

He reached the parking lot and slumped into the back seat. He asked the driver to switch on the music system, and take him to the hotel. The car started to move he closed his eyes.

She reached the parking lot of her building, switched off the engine, heaved a long sigh and closed her eyes.

She was about to get out of the car when she noticed a magazine on the dashboard, left by her husband. The headline said “Top five Asian entrepreneurs of the year”. A familiar face smiled brightly at her from the cover page. She smiled back at him.

Disclaimer: This story is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any person dead or living is purely coincidental.

12 comments:

  1. nice, very nice..

    perfect finise i say :)

    Hugs
    Nadhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn It..!!! i knew it.... i knew it... but Y ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sahi hai , reminds me of a lot of pple I know

    ReplyDelete
  4. could the girl have taken risk???
    ...why didn't girl was with him man.... :(
    is it what so called...lyf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! Awesome... Loved it.

    No words.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Main kaha tha ...
    Aisa hi kuch hoga...
    :(
    Happy Endings honi chahiye!



    GBU
    Arti
    P.S. I Loved It

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. best things in life is always in front of you but invisible in search for greener pasture.absolutely loved the last line. that even dreams comes with a price

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWEFUCKINGSOME bro. i have no other words to say about this.

    itsCreation on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow really cool bro..quite an awesome ending must say..a breather from the cliched they lived happily after types!!

    ReplyDelete